Monday, January 5, 2015

The only fat vegan?







I started this blog because I thought it would keep me accountable for untangling my stress from my obesity - but it's occurred to me that if I don't actually post anything, then it's not really going to be helpful (duh). So, here's a newly energized me committing to more frequent posting. 

I truly believe that my weight issues are related to my miss management of major parenting stress over the years, and now that I manage my stress in a more effective and healthier way, I had expected the weight to drop off. I also switched to a plant based diet and am very, very happy with that. Still, I remain fat! Not just overweight, and not just heavy, but fat, very fat. And, I'm really tired of it. I'm also very afraid of it because of the strong links between obesity and dementia. Ugggg...don't I wish I'd known that one a few years and many pounds ago.

My management of stress is very good although I still, at times, succumb to crappy behavior on my part. I'm currently doing a new training series and writing a new workbook on managing chronic conflict children and youth (I also call them CCCY's). It's taken me many, many years of parenting and working as a therapist to get to this new CCCY management, but I think its the point of everything I've learned and its totally effective - so as I use my new method, I have even less stress within myself and less in my household. Really, I'm running out of excuses to be fat.

Anyway, I haven't had any trouble staying on my plant based eating plan. I love it. I don't miss meat at all and I don't miss dairy and I feel better overall. What's missing? Well, I haven't been exercising adequately and perhaps that is the missing factor here. No excuses for that, just no time. Like most of you, I work all day, and sometimes I work extra long days. By 6 or so I am too tired to go to the gym, not to mention that some of my kids have to be taken to hockey or soccer practice, and if not, I am surely needed at home. 

So, that is my major goal for this month - to get an exercise routine - any suggestions from other busy parents would be welcome. 

In the meantime, here's a great recipe from one of my favorite vegan bloggers. 

Vegangelahttp://vegangela.com/


Note: I use just a dash of the dressing because I'm limiting my fats and avocado is pretty fat heavy. I also substitute frying in oil with using a tiny bit of vegetable broth and a non-stick type of frying pan (let's not even think about the chemicals it takes to make those).

Quinoa Falafel with Avocado Tahini Dressing (Vegan, Gluten-Free)

Ingredients
  • 540 mL can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
  • vegetable oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • ⅓ cup cooked quinoa
  • 2 tbsp cilantro (fresh coriander)
  • 1 tbsp ground cumin
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp pepper
  • 2 vegan "eggs" (such as Energ G egg replacer)
Avocado Tahini Dressing
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • ¼ c tahini
  • 1 tbsp fresh lime juice (about ½ lime)
  • 2 tbsp cilantro (fresh coriander)
  • ½ cup water
Instructions
  1. Blend all dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender. Set aside.
  2. Pulse the chickpeas in a food processor until no more whole chickpeas remain.
  3. Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a frying pan on medium heat and fry the onions and garlic until soft.
  4. Combine chickpeas, onion mixture, quinoa, cilantro, cumin, salt, pepper, and vegan "egg" mixture.
  5. Form the mixture into 12 balls, and flatten them slightly.
  6. Heat a couple tablespoons vegetable oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add the falafel patties and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned.
  7. Serve with dressing, either straight-up, or in pita bread with lettuce, tomato, etc

No comments:

Post a Comment