Monday, August 8, 2016

Transitions...

I've recently realized that my life is in the midst of an abrupt transition. All of a sudden, we no longer need our van because the 4 younger teens are too busy with sports, work, peers, and school for all of us to be doing anymore family outings with everyone. Just a few years ago we had a 15 passenger van that could barely hold us all, and now I am in the process of selling my 7 passenger van and buying a regular sized car. In some ways it seems like getting to this stage has take a thousand years, and in other ways its only been a blink of an eye. Image result for blink of an eye cartoon

I still have two of my grown up kids living at home and they likely will be for the next few years, and my 5 teens are planning to live at home after graduation while they attend college so it's not an empty nest - the house is still full and lively and busy. And, my 14 and 15 & 16 year olds are pot smoking, foul mouthed and just generally ill behaved, so I continue to face the daily challenges of a Hazardous Family. But, the years when we were mostly all together and so many were dependent on me for so much of their day - well, those years are over. 

Like most of you, I still provide help for several of my grown and (semi) independent children as they continue to face the challenges of navigating life through the lens of F.A.S.D. and the never fully repaired damage caused by their early years of neglect and abuse.  There are still huge problems to be dealt with on occasion and the worry never will end, but it's different than it was when they were growing up. They are adults and I can help when possible but I don't enable and I am no longer responsible. Image result for not responsible

I don't think I'm experiencing nostalgia for the big van years - I doubt if many parents in Hazardous Families experience any yearning for the past - but I am strongly aware that my life is changing and I can begin looking ahead and planning for a shift in focus. Having the time to go swimming every morning was a first step in this transition, and the smaller car is yet another. It will be interesting to see what comes next. 

And in case you are wondering - I am maintaining my swimming schedule. No weight loss yet but I've sure noticed a huge improvement in my strength and my agility. I feel better than I have in years, and I think its a combination of the daily swimming and the reduced number of people in my house. 

So, I hope you remember that you are entitled to a better day, and that you strive to have that day. 

In the meantime - here's a nice recipe for a healthy muffin to eat on a busy morning. Ginger is my all time favorite taste - I love it more than anything - and so this a real treat for me to have after swimming. 

From http://www.veganbaking.net/

Vegan Ginger Pear Muffin Recipe


1 ¼ cups pear puree (about 2 ½ medium sized pears)
¾ cup sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons non-dairy milk
1 Tablespoon ginger
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons Egg Replacer Powder
1 cup diced pear, peeled (about 1 medium sized pear)
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon non-aluminum baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda

1) Prepare the pear purée and blend it with the flavor building ingredients
Preheat oven to 325F (163C). Peel and core about 2 ½ medium sized pears and blend or process into 1 ¼ cup of pear purée. After 1 ¼ cup of puree has been measured, save the excess for another use before adding the measured amount back to the food processor or blender. Add the sugar, vegetable oil, non-dairy milk, ginger, lemon juice and salt and process until smooth. Add the Eggless Binder Powder and and process until smooth.    2) Prepare the spiced, diced pears
In a small bowl, hand mix together 1 cup diced pear with 1 teaspoon sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon and ½ teaspoon nutmeg. Stir this with a spoon, making sure all the diced pear pieces are evenly covered. Set aside.3) Whisk together the dry ingredients
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda.  4) Mix the batter
Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl containing the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Stir the diced pear mixture into the dough.
5) Bake to perfection
To make muffins
Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.  Pour the batter into the muffin pan making sure the dough is filled up to the top of the pan and domed. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.Store in a covered container or plastic freezer bag in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or the freezer for up to 6 months. This recipe makes one loaf or 6 to 8 Vegan Ginger Pear Muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment