Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Driving, ruminating, and Elton John...

Day 6

In the past, my attempts at health have often been overwhelmed by travelling. I don't do a lot of that anymore - thank goodness for webinars and other things that mean I can still do presentations but I don't have to leave home. I would get into a good eating pattern but then one airport after another, one plane meal after another, one hotel meal after another, and I would be back to too many carbs and too much fat, too much sitting and not documenting the calories.

Anyway, tomorrow I leave home at 5 a.m. for a trip - driving for eleven hours followed by hotel life for a couple of days, then another eleven hour drive home. So, this time, I'm planning ahead. I know some of the problems will be that I will be travelling through small towns where it's hard to get a healthy meal (truly - have you ever seen the salads they tend to serve at the only diner in a teeny tiny town?). I suppose I could pack a cooler ahead of time, and I will next time but didn't think of it till now so no cooler, no time to get one.

The other problem is that there is no way to get exercise or activity. Jogging in place beside the car doesn't work for me. In fact jogging anywhere in the world doesn't work for me. I'm going to a very small town and I checked out the hotel and it doesn't have an exercise room, as if I could, at my weight and age, do any exercising after all those hours in the car. I'll be lucky if I can still walk.

I do, however, intend to some positive things while driving. I will tap (check out eft tapping if that isn't familiar to you) about letting go of stress and that will help with the weight. I will pray about my stress and just about everything else in my life that needs praying about, and I will eat the best I can and will document it all in Spark People so that I don't get out of what is beginning to be a good habit. I will also wiggle a bit more in my car seat because every movement helps, and I'll do my best not to ruminate and add to my cortisol load.

I don't know about you (obviously) but I do indeed tend to ruminate while driving - and that is such a deadly thing to do. Not only does it raise the cortisol level, but its all about focusing on the negative and has nothing to do with problem solving, or with creative thinking, or with anything at all that's healthy. Well, when I find myself ruminating I'll tap for a bit then I'll crank up the Elton John cd's and that will be bring me back to a positive mental state - or at least as near to one as I ever get.

How do you manage healthy eating when you're travelling? Love some suggestions.

So friends, have your best day possible today.
Chat later...

1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying your new blog. I love your usual warm humor mixed with intriguing science. With 16 kids myself (15 adopted)I can certainly empathize with how our emotional responses to parenting can wreak havoc on our health. Keep it up! I'm checking in daily.
    Laura in WA

    ReplyDelete