Thursday, April 25, 2013

Driving...thinking...not thinking right...



Day 8

The drive yesterday was wonderful - 11 hours long but lovely weather, hardly any traffic - it felt like I was the only person in the world and for me, who lives with a large family (including one who rages hourly and one sporadic rager) the feeling of being alone was wonderful. Normally when I travel I am on a plane surrounded by people and their busy-ness. I can't recall the last time I spent 11 hours on my own - I can't even recall the last time I spent one hour on my own.

So, being on my own meant I had to plan my thinking. I know that sounds weird, but without some planning I am bound to ruminate - and that leads to a cortisol overload which leads to increased belly fat (as if I could squeeze more into my body - nope, don't think so!). One of my thinking plans involved creating the topics and general direction of my soon to be Hazardous Parenting Blog Talk Radio show. Well, that didn't go so well - my mind kept running from that topic like a teen from a chore list. I just can't seem to get a mental grip on this one - if you have any ideas or suggestions of what you would like to hear on this, or how you would like to participate, don't hesitate to drop me a line brendamccreight@gmail.com Clearly I need some help.

Eating on this trip wasn't easy or positive. I mostly just bought food from service stations because I didn't see a restaurant worth stopping for. That meant I bought those plastic containers of fruits and vegetables which weren't too bad, but it also meant items that the rest of my food was too carb heavy and too light on protein. Why does every bought sandwich have to have ham in it? Ever since I found out that pigs can learn to dance - well, that is  way toooooo sentient for me - and that means I won't eat anything that came from a piggy (I picture them in tutu's - dancing their little hearts out till the axe falls...ugggg). So my food choices excluded the wrapped sandwiches and that left mostly muffins  =  carbs, sugar, fat, and calories.

I'm not going to beat myself up over this because one day won't wreck my life and now I've learned to buy a cooler and fill it ahead of time for any future driving trips. I'm happy, too, that I was aware of what I was buying and even if my choices were limited and not so good, I was able to ensure that I had the fruit and vegetables.

Today I've done well. I'm trying to be aware of my food choices without being obsessed. Not something I've achieved in the past but here's hoping for success now.

Okay - off to work. Remember, you are always entitled to a better day.
Don't forget to check out the Hazardous Parenting facebook page for tips on how to thrive despite the stress in your life. 

And, if you have time, have a look at the Hazardous Parenting web site for more info on self care for parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment