Thursday, July 24, 2014

Sugar addiction...

I was having a chat with a couple of my not-so-littles about their over the top sugar consumption. Like many with fasd and adhd and other diagnoses, they are pretty sugar addicted. They are also very thin due to (I assume) their youth, their hyperactivity and perhaps their genetics. For the most part, they are pretty good about eating vegetables every day and they love fruit (well of course, it contains sugar). But they spend every penny they can get on sugared junk food. There's not much I can do about that, they are quite capable of walking to the corner store on their own, as they do, and you can't monitor a bunch of teens at school or with friends. So, I give the occasional reminder and then pray for their health.

When I was a kid, about 200 years ago, I hardly ever had sugar. It was a big treat to be allowed to have a popsicle once a week, or maybe a small bag of candy at the movies. That was about it. My mom cooked very healthy food and most of what she served was from scratch and often from our own garden. Yes, she worked, but she was one of those women who could do it all, unlike me.  Well, she died of Alzheimer's and I am fat. So, hard to be an example of a sugarless childhood to my kids. No wonder they don't care for my opinion on the matter.

For myself, I still don't eat a lot of sugar, but I eat some and I get way too much in canned drinks in the summer - canned iced tea when we're camping is a big thing for me. In the winter, I consumer too much sugar through breads and spreads, but that is changing as I adapt to the Vegan before 6 food plan. I love it, and not having any trouble with it, but still too much bread. I'm having a struggle with lunches - no cravings or yearnings for anything bad, but lacking in interesting foods that I can take to the office and not spend the entire evening before preparing. A great big salad just doesn't keep me from starving till dinner time and I can't afford to be low energy when I have clients to see or writing deadlines to meet. Ah well, I expect to get better at this. If you have any vegan lunch suggestions, I would love to hear them.

But, back to my skinny, sugar addicted teens. Since I can't be a role model and I know they don't listen to lectures, I can only hope they pick up some healthy practices along the way. In the meantime, I'll keep serving them all the vegetables I can at dinner and hope for the best. I will also be very grateful that my complaint is about their sugar consumption - not about drugs, alcohol, violence, or illegal behaviors!

Hey, you, take care of yourself. You are entitled to a better day.
Remember, if you have the time and inclination, please check out my other blog, and my Hazardous Parenting facebook page and Youtube site.

Here's a great recipe from my current favorite vegan cookbook:  Oh She Glows
I don't like spicey so I leave out the jalepinos & reduce the cayenne and I try not to use too many canned goods so I substitute for fresh home made sauces and dried beans that I soak overnight. 

Image result for vegan chili picture

My Favourite Vegan Chili

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free
By 

YIELD
4 BOWLS
PREP TIME
30 MINUTES
COOK TIME
30 MINUTES

Ingredients:

  • 1.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 heaping cups diced sweet onion
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 4 med/lg cloves)
  • 2 jalapeños, seeded (if desired) and diced
  • 1 cup diced celery
  • 1 lg. red bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 6 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 (15-oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15-oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2-3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce
TOPPINGS:
  • Homemade vegan sour cream
  • Chopped green onions
  • Fresh cilantro

Directions:

  1. In a large pot, saute the onion and the garlic in the oil over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and stir.
  2. Add the jalapeños, celery, and bell pepper and saute for another 5-7 minutes or so, until softened.
  3. Now add the can of diced tomatoes (with the juice), broth, and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Increase heat to medium-high.
  4. Add the drained and rinsed beans, along with the chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, cayenne, and hot sauce. Simmer the mixture until thickened, about 10-15 minutes and adjust seasonings to taste if necessary.
  5. Serve with Homemade vegan sour cream, chopped green onion, and cilantro leaves, if desired.


Read more: http://ohsheglows.com/2014/02/05/my-favourite-vegan-chili-with-homemade-sour-cream/#ixzz38QGBEG4T

No comments:

Post a Comment