Monday, May 13, 2013

Pounds aren't dropping off...or sliding off...or melting away....or......

Day  27

Still no sign of weight loss. I believe that I have to do this slowly so that my eating habits and my stress management skills are permanently changed for the better. At least I think I  believe that. Okay, what I really want is for my eating and stress skills to change, but I want the weight to come off NOW. Not a stupid pound a week. At that rate, and with my current weight and age, I'll be dead from old age before there is a noticeable difference.

I know that part of the problem is lack of exercise - I garden and I do housework, but I'm no longer on an acreage so the gardening is just weeding and flower stuff and a few vegetables, not the hours of real digging and hard work I used to have to do. And the housework, while endless, is tedious and takes every evening, but it's with all the modern conveniences. Pushing a mop around the floor isn't going to compensate for the lack of a real workout. I could dance around while I mop - but after a full day of work and and an evening of parenting, there isn't much dance left in me. So, till I find a bathing suit I'm willing to wear to the public pool, I guess it's time to get to the gym. I still hate that, but then I might hate being dead and I sure hate being fat, so it's the lesser of all my hates at the moment.

Stress is another matter. I live with ragers, and my wonderful mom is suffering intensely with Alzheimers. I manage the impact the ragers have on me, but its very, very hard to detach or move away from the grief when I know my mom is trapped in a body that hurts her and a mind that is frozen in anxiety. I don't have any stress management for the deep sorrow that puts in me so the glucose from that will keep transforming to belly fat at the speed of lightening.

So, don't forget to check out my Hazardous Parenting facebook page for some stress management skills, and hop on over to Youtube and look under my name for more stress management using eft tapping and meditation.

Remember, you are entitled to a better day! 

Hey, here's a great recipe. (I'm sort of vegetarian in that if I have a choice I don't eat meat, but if I'm at someone's home for dinner and they serve meat I will eat it). I love this recipe - tasty, fast, and healthy.


White Beans, Spinach & Tomatoes over Parmesan Toasts

Makes: 4 servings
Active Time: 
Total Time: 

INGREDIENTS

  • 4 thick slices country-style whole-wheat bread
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 4 medium plum tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
  • 1 10-ounce bag baby spinach
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 1/4 cup sliced fresh basil, or 2 tablespoons prepared pesto


PREPARATION

  1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
  2. Top bread with Parmesan, place on a baking sheet and bake until the bread is crispy and the cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.
  3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and beans and cook, stirring often, until the tomatoes are beginning to soften and the beans are heated through, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in spinach, pepper, salt and broth and cook, stirring constantly, until the spinach is just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in basil (or pesto). Spoon the bean-and-spinach mixture over the Parmesan toasts and serve hot.

TIPS & NOTES

  • Make Ahead Tip: The spinach-and-bean mixture can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in the microwave.




No comments:

Post a Comment